Items you may see everyday in your home could be potentially deadly for your dogs. It is important to be aware of them and teach others in your home about them.
- Chocolate – This seems to be one many know about but yet it happens all the time. I have to admit, I have even been guilty of leaving chocolate where my sneaky brats Bella and Zipper have managed to find. It is amazing how great they are at opening those wrappers to eat the chocolaty goodness! Dark chocolate and chocolate with a higher cacao is worse, but depending on the size of your dog, any chocolate can be deadly. The stimulants in chocolate can stay in your dog for up to 72 hours so if you feel your dog has consumed chocolate, it is best to talk to your vet to discuss what they ate, their size, and breed and let them determine the best course of action.
- Ibuprofen – (Found in Advil, Motrin, etc) While it may be used under veterinary supervision to help with pain or inflammation, too much can cause moderate to severe toxicity, including death. It can lead to stomach ulcers, kidney failure, liver failure, or even seizures. DO NOT ASSUME CHILD PROOF MEANS PET PROOF! I can attest that my animals have easily opened up a child proof cap. Yes, I know I’m starting to sound like a bad pet owner….I can assure you, I try to take great care, but when you have large dogs in your home and large dogs visiting often, things happen. I was not aware of these dangers then, so I’m trying to help prevent it with others.
- Acetaminophen – (Found in Tylenol) This carries more severity than the Ibuprofen. It has a narrower margin of danger. If you think your dog has consumed some acetaminophen, call your vet immediately.
- Amphetamines – (Such as ADD / ADHD Medication, prescription weight loss medication, Ecstasy, meth-amphetamines, etc) Yes, I know the last two are illegal street drugs, but it’s important to still be aware of the dangers around your pets. This over stimulates your dogs central nervous system and could do severe damage, up to death, in your dog.
- Insect Bait Stations
- Rodenticides – (Rat and mouse poison) As someone who has had a mouse problem in the past, I know how difficult it is to get rid of them. Please be aware of the choices you are making regarding how to eliminate them. You may put them in a place where you think your animal can not reach, but you will be amazed the small spaces they can get their paws into. While not a rodenticide, even traps should be enclosed so if your pet does hit them with a paw, it may set them off, but not on their paw.
- Fertilizers – It is important to be aware of how dangerous fertilizer can be for your dog. Most companies will put flags out on lawns where fertilizer has been used, but the average homeowner doing their lawn their selves may not. Be aware when you are out walking your pet be aware of the potential dangers. Fertilizer isn’t just on lawns. Some people spray trees, bushes, etc. Always be alert.
- Xylitol-containing products – This is a popular sugar substitute but is made from wood and cellulose. Items you may find it in some sugar free items, including gum, candies, baked goods, toothpaste, and other items. While it has no effect on humans, it can be detrimental to dogs. It can affect them as soon as 30 minutes after ingesting. Because it is a sugar substitute, dogs could be very interested in it, so it is important to leave them in areas completely away from your dogs.
- Household Cleaners
- Plants – both household and outside plants can be toxic to dogs. For a complete list of toxic and non toxic plants for dogs, cats, and horses, click here.
While this list contains the top ten dangerous toxins for dogs, it is not a complete list. For safety, keep ALL medication, both human and veterinary, up and away from all of your pets. If your dog consumes something you are not sure about, please double check. It is important to err on the side of safety when it comes to keeping your pet safe.